Want to rack up big wins in 2022? This Zoom seminar — free to WLHB students and alumni – can help!
When: February 8, 2022, 1pm Pacific
Cost: free to members of The Workshop, and students and alumni of Write Like a Honey Badger, $10 for the general public
Sign up now! (Please email Amanda for the complementary access code, if you’re a graduate or current student)
This 75-minute virtual event reveals how to pitch stories like the world’s most ferocious animal! Amanda Castleman, founder of Write Like a Honey Badger, will explore cures to common challenges.
- Overcoming the pitch yips
- Targeting the right publications
- Understanding editorial lead-times
Essential elements of a strong query
- The incredible power of timely angles
- Sweeten your story ideas with reporting plans
- Leveraging your personal experience, expertise and unusual access
- How the pandemic has shifted the publication landscape for journalism, essays and creative non-fiction – and pitch hacks for landing dream assignments, despite the industry turbulence
A journalist since 1993, Amanda has successfully cold-pitched everywhere from The BBC to Hemispheres, USA Today, and Wired. She created the renowned Pitch Like a Honey Badger course in 2015 and now teaches it with journalists Blane Bachelor and Jessica Poitevien. They regularly coaches students into titles including AARP, Al Jazeera, Bon Appétit, National Geographic, Outside, The New York Times, SELF, Smithsonian, Travel + Leisure, to name a few.
Amanda will speak for roughly an hour, then will open up the floor for questions.