Write Like a Honey Badger is proud to sponsor The Center for Independent Journalism (CIJ) 2022 conference, held online March 11–12.
Launched with help from Northwestern University, this support and advocacy organization focuses on freelancers who are Black, Indigenous and People of Color (BIPOC). It also advocates for the ethical use of all independent labor throughout the media.
- The 2022 conference offers 14 interactive sessions, including:
- Tips on negotiating like a boss
- A panel on branding for journalists
- Inspiration to apply for fellowships
- Insights on pitching and working with editors
- A financial-wizardry discussion featuring Honey Badger alumna Alex Hazlett!
CIJ’s website notes: “White participants are welcome at our conference and webinars. We just ask people to please be aware of their positionality and stay out of affinity spaces. For example, if there’s an opportunity limited to BIPOC journalists, don’t seek that opportunity.”